Debate: Unresolved: America's Economic Outlook
By most accounts, the American economy is booming — manufacturing is at a 13-year high, unemployment is at a 16-year low, and both the stock market and consumer confidence are soaring. But just what is driving this upturn? And can Americans trust that current economic conditions will hold up in the months ahead? In our season premiere, five esteemed economic thinkers debate the state of the American economy, from tax cuts to trade policy.
Closing in on the Trump administration’s first year, we’ll ask: Is deregulation driving the booming economy? Can the Republican tax bill spur economic growth? And is the stock market too high?
- Jason Furman Fmr. Chairman, Council of Economic Advisers & Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute
- Simon Johnson Fmr. Chief Economist, International Monetary Fund
- Stephen Moore Senior Fellow, The Heritage Foundation & Fmr. Economic Advisor, Donald Trump
- Dambisa Moyo Global Economist & Best-Selling Author
- Gillian Tett U.S. Managing Editor, Financial Times